Why wine is not good for your health

My Healthy Tips

Wine it's not good for your health

Wine is not good for your health
How many of you have plans to enjoy a glass of wine today? I know I was thinking about it on my way home the other day. Then I read that UK’s chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies is advising that wine it’s not good for your health. According to her statistics if you drink more than 14 units per week you’re at high risk. A glass of wine has 3.3 units…

My curiosity could not let me relax. So I found myself doing more research on the different types of wines in the market.

My first discovery was that there was a huge difference between organic and regular wine. That besides the health risk that both of them have.

So, what did I find out?

I discovered that wineries producing certified organic wines had strict rules. They are not allowed to use any non-organic pesticides, synthetic fertilizers or herbicides to grow their grapes.

Wineries producing organic wine use organic farming techniques such as the use of compost and green manure and cover crops. Mechanical weeding techniques, companion planting, and mulching are employed instead of using herbicides.

To control insects like cutworms, they remove them one by one. Or expose them to natural predators like chicken, are utilized in the place of toxic insecticides.

Also, genetically modified organisms like GMO yeast used in regular wines are not allowed in certified organic wines.

Only biodynamic vineyards are allowed to produce grapes used in producing organic wines.

After getting an explicit understanding of the differences between organic and regular wine, I took an extra step to analyze the chemicals utilized in the process of making regular wines and understanding the risks they pose to my health.

wine sulfites

VINEYARD CHEMICALS

It is evident that fungal diseases and insects are a big challenge in the vineyards. They are known to have adverse effects if not taken care of.

The solution employed in regular wine producing wineries is spraying the vines with toxic man-made compounds that kill the pests. Man-made pesticides are known to be more powerful and require minimal effort.

It is clear that man-made chemicals are only set to benefit the wineries. A big question pops up. Is the health of the consumer not crucial?

Grapes used to make wine are also not cleaned. Something that got me shocked as I thought that grapes were washed before fermentation to eliminate any harmful chemicals. Sadly, I was wrong.

These chemicals are associated with heart disease. They are also known to cause adverse allergic reactions to some people.

Another question pops up. Why are grapes not washed?

Sadly, or rather, unfortunately, grapes are harvested by machines and grape skin is very delicate. Cleaning them would mean releasing the grape juice. Therefore, the grapes cannot be washed.

This got me thinking about the chemicals that we could be consuming in every glass of regular wine. Well, you can understand the risks that come with these mouth-watering drinks.

· PRESERVATIVES(SULFITES).

To be in a position to ship the wine across long distances and storing the wine under the hot tropic temperatures, there is a need to use significant amounts of preservative sulfites to prevent the wine from going bad.

A 750 ml bottle of regular wine can contain up to 250ppm of preservative sulfites. A little sulfite regular wine, which is rare to find, will contain about 60ppmof preservatives. It is important to ask yourself why almost all regular wines wineries do not indicate many chemicals in their products.

Certified organic wine does not contain sulfites.

So, what are the effects of these preservatives?

The sulfur oxide is attributed to most of the allergies found in people who regularly drink wine.

My experience was a clear self-test as almost every time I took a glass of regular wine, I would experience a headache.

When our bodies are exposed to allergens like sulfites, the immune system initiates the release of histamines in the tissues. Histamines are known to cause headaches and redness of the skin.

oak barrel

· OAK IN OAK BARRELS.

As I proceeded with my research, I realized that many people avoid wines matured in oak barrels.

I found this interesting because oak has been common in the wine-making industry for decades in both the regular and organic wine.

However, I discovered some problems with oak.

Oak is delicate for sensitive people as it contains a lot of tannins, a component in most plants that help them repel pests and grazers.

Secondly, the insides of wine barrels require thorough washing now and then. Chemicals are utilized in cleaning the inner parts. The residue that is absorbed by the timber leaks into the wine.

Researchers had found 2,4,6-Tribrophenol in crates used to collect grapes, wine barrels and wine racks, a chemical designed to make timber fire proof and used to create timber and other wood products. Sadly the wine barrels are sourced without proper analysis.

The chemical finally leaks into the wine which we take without noticing.

So, how dangerous is 2,4,6-Tribrophenol chemical?

The chemical is said to reside in our bodies and may result in many diseases shortly.

· GMO GRAPES.

I realized that regular wine wineries develop GMO grapes to ensure a steady supply of wine to the market.

GMO yeast is also used to ferment the wine.

What they do not consider is the health risks they pose to the consumer. The effects are long term and include the development of cancer and early skin aging.

At the end of the day, wine comes with some health benefits like flavonoids which protect us from the radical rays of the sun associated with heart disease.

However, looking at all these negatives, it is clear that wine is one thing we need to reconsider.

Regular wine is seen to come with more chemicals as compared to organic wine.

The decision to choose a wine is, however, personal. It is a judgment we all need to make for ourselves.

The most important thing is doing a thorough research to understand the pros and cons of this famous drink.

Your health is more important than two glasses of a drink that will shorten your lifespan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

Lost Password